Sunday, October 6, 2013

September 27th Cohort Meeting Reflection

I'm about a half a week late on this, sorry guys... College lyfe is pretty cray-cray.

1. Name of Cohort Meeting: Why Does Leadership Matter? Relational and Servant Leadership

2. What are 3 things you learned at the meeting?
-I learned that it's really tough to differentiate the different parts of leadership, because we think of them together as one cohesive unit, but it's really cool to see how all the different elements come together to create something that we are so familiar with.
-I learned that my mentor for this year is going to be Wade Rhoades, and that he's super involved in a wide variety of things, some of which I might look into myself!
-I also learned that processes are everywhere and that they're the most important thing ever in everything. I know that's not really true, but I do know that it is a key element to a lot of things, especially in leadership.

3. Which trait of servant leadership connect most with you? Think of a prominent servant leader in the world or in your community, and discuss which of the traits they exemplify. How do you feel after connecting with your student mentor?
-The trait that I connect to most is empathy. I try really hard to put myself in other's positions, and I try to think of others before myself. I understand that everyone has feelings and problems sometimes, and I make sure to look at those when working together. A prominent servant leader that I know of is Martin Luther King Jr., who immersed himself in the fight for civil rights, rather than just advocating it. Finally, I'm super excited to get to know Wade. He's big into the sports scene, so I might end up getting to see some games I wouldn't go to on my own. Hooray for trying new things!

4. What are you looking forward to most about the retreat? What do you hope to learn?
-What I was most looking forward to was getting to know everybody (cliché, I know), because let's be honest, we were just an awkward group of kids before the retreat. I loved sharing so much about me, and learning so much about everyone else, and I can't wait to come to this next cohort meeting and feeling like we really are friends now.

I thought this was another cool way to look at it.
PROCESSES.

1 comment:

  1. I find it hard to differentiate the different parts of leadership too, because for so long I viewed it as a whole not in parts. I can see you possessing the trait of empathy, you're really sweet and kind person!

    ReplyDelete