Sunday, September 15, 2013

September 13th Meeting Reflection

Here's my reflection for our second FLI meeting. Things are really starting to roll!

1. Name of Cohort Meeting: What is leadership? What is a leader?

2. What are 3 things that you learned at the meeting?
-First off, I learned that the FLI retreat is a LOT closer than I remembered. It's in all of two weeks! I ain't ready for this! A second thing I learned is how different all of our interpretations of leadership are. I know there are many traits and aspects and stuff that we agree on when it comes to leadership, but there are also a number of things that we see in a leader that others don't. But of course that's okay. Everybody has their own opinions and every sees the world differently! A third thing I learned is how much the idea of leadership has evolved over time. All the theories and ideas... And all of them are right in their own ways. It's quite the puzzle.

3. Has your definition of leadership changed after the meeting? Talk about a time when a leader in your life challenged the traditional definition of a leader.
-My definition of leadership has changed a little, mostly because there doesn't seem to be one specific definition. It all depends on the person and the situation. This is what has made me look at leadership differently.
This past year, while I was a senior in high school, I was the Community Service committee chair for our student council. There was a freshman in my committee named Courtney, and she was a very quite girl, but was voted into student council nonetheless. She was not very charismatic, nor did she ever seem to take control of a situation and lead it. However, there is no way my committee could have functioned without her. She came to all our events, and made it to every meeting. She showed up to stuff even when nobody else did. Even though she wasn't "in charge" of the situation, she always stepped up and made a huge difference.

4. What do you think it means for someone to serve and lead at the same time?
-I believe people can lead by example. Even if you don't have a title, or aren't the designated "leader" of a group or activity, doesn't mean you can't give it your all for it. Be the one that people look up to, or the one people can count on to get something done. This is just as great as being the face of the organization.

This is the program from our Hall Council Officer Training! We're learning how to make a difference, even if we're not some fancy title like President or Treasurer!

2 comments:

  1. I love your explanation of service and leadership! It was interesting how in my school none of the quiet leaders were really recognized until their senior year. It was weird how people finally picked up on how some of the quietest people in our grade formed the backbone of everything we did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too was really surprised at how close the retreat is, i thought it was like a month away... but its not. I also learned how different people see leadership as, although peoples interpretations may be different they can both be right in there own special way.

    ReplyDelete